Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Walk 28. Folkestone to Dymchurch

The next section of coast is a large, gently curving, bay that runs from Folkestone all the way to Dungeness. Today I am walking the first half and finishing at Dymchurch.

So, starting back at Folkestone, I walk along this excellent boardwalk across the pebble beach…



 

It passes these new-looking flats which I would imagine are a bit pricey…




The boardwalk soon joins the concrete sea-wall, and I stroll along the top past the Lower Leas Coastal Park heading towards Sandgate. The sun is out and the path is easy, but it is very windy and, as usual, I seem to be walking straight into it! The waves are fun to watch, though…




In the distance I spot something a bit odd-looking. Is it some sort of Victorian industrial remnant, or maybe a defensive structure? No. As I get nearer I can see it is neither of these. I only know what it actually is when I read the plaque…






Yep, more art apparently. Hands up who guessed it was just a beach hut…


A few minutes later I’m entering Sandgate and pass what, at first, I thought to be another Martello Tower. I soon discover that it is a lot older. This is Sandgate Castle and is another one of Henry VIII’s coastal defences.





I continue along the sea-front of Sandgate past today’s ’digger on the beach’…




Past Sandgate, the prom continues alongside a park and golf course for what seems like forever! 




Eventually though, I reach Hythe, one of the medieval Cinque Ports. Pronounced ‘sink’ ports, there were originally five (cinque being French for ‘five’ of course) coastal towns that were excused taxes in exchange for providing ships for the king. Today there are several more Cinque Ports and their status is just ceremonial - so don’t move to one hoping to dodge the taxman!

At the far end of Hythe sea-front are a couple of Martello Towers and a flagpole with a very important Red Flag flying.




This marks the edge of Hythe Ranges, where the army train to shoot. Now, you can only walk along the beach when no live firing is taking place as they shoot towards the sea! Live firing times are posted online, but the ranges are used most days including weekends so finding a ‘safe’ day is not easy. The large red flags are flown when firing is taking place, so if you see these DO NOT go along the beach!

Getting past this area involves a three mile diversion along the road. On the plus side, I get to see a bit of the Royal Military Canal. This was built between 1805 and 1809 during the Napoleonic Wars to defend against a French invasion. It runs for 28 miles between Hythe and Cliff End near Hastings, and today is part nature reserve and part public amenity. There is a footpath that runs the whole length and looks like a great walk!





Unfortunately the canal and road soon diverge and I’ve got a fair bit of this ahead…




The main gate of the ranges. Note big red flag…




Getting there…





Finally I arrive back at the sea-wall. Here is a view back past the ranges toward Hythe…




The sea-wall here is an impressive structure. Big and wide and fairly new-looking, it goes all the way to Dymchurch. Away in the distance, on the horizon to the left, I can see the power station at Dungeness where I will be headed on my next walk…




Despite thinking that I was not far from the end for today, it takes nearly an hour to reach Dymchurch! On the outskirts I pass another Martello Tower that has been converted into a house…




The tide has been going out revealing a beautiful sandy beach…




I am finishing today at this Martello Tower in a car park…




It’s been a bit of an odd walk today. Although the sun was out and I was beside the sea for most of it, the long, straight, rather featureless, sections into the strong wind made it drag a bit. Still, mustn’t grumble, eh…


No comments:

Post a Comment