Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Walk 33. Winchelsea Beach to Cliff End

Today I set off from Winchelsea Beach in lovely Autumn sunshine, although it is a bit breezy! 

The path runs along the top of a big shingle bank at the back of the beach. Walking over pebbles is a slow and tiring process, but as it turns out, this surface is well compacted and a bit of a doddle to walk on!




Once past the holiday chalets of Winchelsea Beach, to the landward side is a sheep-filled Romney Marsh…




It’s at about this point that I see orange flashing lights in the distance and men in hi-vis, and I realise I haven’t seen any traffic on the coast road. Turns out the road is closed while work is carried out. Bugger! The bus I was planning to take back to my car runs along this road. So I decide I’ll only continue to Cliff End and walk back to the car!

The tide is high and looks on the turn, so the waves are crashing onto the beach in a picturesque manner…





I come across an information board about the Anne which was wrecked in 1690. It is only visible at low tide though, so nothing to see at the moment.





Reaching the little settlement of Pett Level, which seems to blend in to Cliff End, the road closure is very obvious…






The path is now a concrete sea wall and I pass some boats and some pricey-looking beachfront properties…







The beach runs out at Cliff End so it seems a good place to finish today. Next time it will be over the cliffs to Hastings!






No comments:

Post a Comment